Friday, November 12, 2010

Four Weeks After Surgery

I am feeling that I should be feeling better! Every day is different. Some days I feel better than others. Sometimes my head is achey. Otherwise it's just a overall feeling of malaise.
My blood sugar is normal now. Drops low when I haven't eaten in about 4 hours. But is better than before, it was dropping below 70 last week. Stopped taking all medication but Zoloft and Lisinopril. No more Metformin!!! No Diabetes!!!
I am not as hungry as I was but still consuming a lot of fluids. I have gained 10 pounds since I diagnosed myself in August. That does not make me feel good. I have had trouble for the last ten years with my weight, gradually gaining more and more and not being able to lose. Before surgery I was thinking I would have immediate relief. After all the tumor that was producing the excessive gh would be gone so my levels should go back to normal right away. It doesn't work that way. Although, I do see changes in my face, hands and feet. Swelling has gone down and my pores are smaller and my face is pealing. It's very dry unlike the way it was, very oily.

I was reading posts on the Acromegaly site and feel fortunate that I am noticing changes so soon. Many others have had second surgeries which I haven't even entertained. I do have to have surgery for a thyroid mass. The goiter is compressing my trachea and esophagus. The endo said it was caused by the excessive gh.  So I won't know what may be out of whack because of the mass or the tumor. My thyroid levels are normal now and even with half of it gone they should remain normal. My surgery is Dec 13th. Another minimally invasive surgery with a small incision in neck. I have read of surgeons doing it through the armpit but mine doesn't have that expertise.

So, it's only been 4 weeks. I had a blood test after 2 weeks and my gh and igf-1 were still elevated. Another blood test in another month.

No comments:

Post a Comment